Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A corncrib with corn in it!

Remember the corn cribs I posted this last winter?
We found one on Sunday that they still use!




A swell red barn with an authentic corn crib! The tree beside it is a wild pear tree, (I think because of the white blossoms and they are quite natural for this area.)
The long thing pointing upwards to the right of the photo is a grain elevator. Inside the trough is a belt that has paddles on it. As it moves up and around the top, it carries the grain or corn cobs up and drops them over the top and into the crib. Or from the bottom of the crib into a "hopper" wagon.


Corn cribs are never painted and are just plain, untreated wood. I guess so that no paint or chemicals get into the corn.




We got close enough so you can actually see the cobs!
There's a lot of money in that crib!

All of these photos were again shot and loaded directly from my Nikon P90 and then posted without alteration of any kind.

9 comments:

Brian Miller said...

very cool. this reminds me of a farm we visit here locally. my youngest wants to be a farmer when he grows up....

Everyday Goddess said...

Farmers are heroes in my book.

Unknown said...

The corn cribs I remember from my childhood when we visited family farms. Great pics.

Have a blessed Mother's Day.
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Respectfully Yours said...

That's alot of niblets....

DJan said...

Well, since I've started reading your blog I've seen more farms than I ever have before. Were they always there and I didn't notice them before??

Heart of the Wood said...

I lived in a farming community for a few years in Northern England, helping out with haytime and lambing and so on. It's great to see how it's done elsewhere. I always wanted to be a farmer as a kid, but grew up in the city - now all I have is that damn Farmville on Facebook!

Heart of the Wood said...

(and even on Farmville I can't keep my crops alive or milk my goats on time!)

Unknown said...

Great photos. Love the barn; red ones are my favorites.

EG CameraGirl said...

You are right that corn cribs are not seen every day! I LOVE the close up!