Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Journey Begun

Chapter 5  starts below:
 

This story was begun on Monday, June 28, 2010 and is entitled Katie and Mr Werbowski. Sometimes, I'll still post photographs and jump back and forth, because that's just how I am!


So if you'd like, use the following link:


Katie and Mr Werbowski: The very first post


...For the very first installment! I 'll also copywrite it, so don't get any thoughts there either!
(Little joke there! As if!)
__________________


Chapter 5


      Katie finally sobbed herself to sleep that night and crawled into her bed in the rafters with a heavy heart. The sleep of total exhaustion enveloped her and a finger of morning light found it's way through the thatch of the roof way too soon.  She rubbed her gritty, swollen eyes and sighed. "Well my girl? You've decided and so ye'd best make tha' best of it!" She swung out from under the bedclothes and made her way back to the worn, wooden kitchen table where she had last night sealed her fate into a filmy piece of paper.
    Today, she would begin the process of telling her hard won customers that she would no longer be available for their abusive comments and filthy clothes!  She lifted her chin just a notch. "An' that'll be a joy, it will!"
    "What di' you say there my Katie?" Her mother was already at the sink, a big spoon in hand and as she turned to give the oatmeal a stir, she jumped into Katie's thoughts: "Are ye a goin' to tell your customers today? You hated the drudgery for sure!"
      "How did she read my mind?" Katie thought and then with a brave smile she answered: "Yes, I hated the servitude o' it Mam, but it was work all the same and I was glad o' it!"
      Her mother again waived the worn, wooden spoon for emphasis. "There'll be none of that where you're goin' and for that I'll be ever grateful to your brother Sean and that Polish man!" And then she noticed her beloved daughter's weary countenance and scurried over to her side." Aw my babe! Is it changin' your mind you're thinkin'?"
     "No Mam. It's surely I'll be missin' you and Da though." And then an idea invaded her mind like a bingo ball popping out the bubble to go down the chute. "Oh!" She couldn't help but give a start!
        "If I'm able and sent for you, would you an Da come to Missouri?" Her hand fled to her lips almost as if the thought wasn't better to be spoken! Where had that come from?
        Her Mam fell back against the solidness of the sink and for a moment,  Katie thought she might have to rush over and support her mam's weight. "Mam? Are you alright?" She quivered herself in fear!
        And then the future took an enormous swing to the positive and Katie's Mam said: "Why..... Why yes! We could!  Do you suppose your Polish man would bring us?"


           ....And Katie didn't know, but answered all the same, "Don't worry Mam. You an' Da will be with me in that Missouri before the next year is gone by!


             ...And Katie began placing the crockery for breakfast. She had to start this journey she had set herself and her family upon!
     
______________


PS: If anybody's wondering... I've got a promotion and once again, life is getting in the way. So! If I go missing for a couple of days, don't worry, I'll be back again as soon as I catch my breath!

8 comments:

Brian Miller said...

oh the plot thickens a bit...they both have certain stress...cant wait to see how you resolve it.

Unknown said...

am loving this story!

Congrats on the promotion!

DJan said...

Hey, congratulations on both the story and the promotion. It's a winner, so are YOU! Can't wait for more. I love the phrase "finger of light"

Dr. Tripat Mehta said...

beautiful story

http://sparkledaroma.blogspot.com/

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm enjoying your tale. Congrats on the promotion!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ooooh, congratulations on the blogging and the story! Really enjoying the story! Keep up the good work!

ethelmaepotter! said...

Okay, I hate that I did this, but I've been so behind - I read chapter 5 first - and now I'm hooked, and must go back and catch the others!