Search This Blog

Monday, March 15, 2010

Antiquing

The Barbershop

A meeting place. A center for local social news and current events. A hub of each community.


We would always ask: "Daddy! Daddy! Where are you going? Can we come too?" 

And he would smile and say: "No, not this time. I'm going to get my ears lowered!"


We would giggle as little girls will do and would always yearn to go too....



This is an antique photograph taken by an unknown photographer. I don't know where this was either for sure, but could guess it was in Norfolk county, Ontario. Perhaps Simcoe or Delhi.


Re-Created for our eyes only and not for sale.


The prices just make me shake my head! 
Was anything EVER that cheap?
(I remember!)




The canister of the shaving baby is so cute! 
Is it old? Is it new? Who knows!




A simple collection of shaving brushes.




Look at the razors!



Of course Mustache cups were so in vogue.

My dad would have never worn a mustache!

Photographs taken with my digital camera: A Nikon P90
Display can be viewed at the Courtland, Ontario Antique Mall.

4 comments:

Richard said...

Awesome! I actually count shaving as one of my hobbies (!): I even have a couple of straight razors which I shave with sometimes!

And they still make Williams' Shaving Soap! You can buy it for $1-$1.50US and it smells like lemons! I actually have some in the bathroom, I think! :D

Unknown said...

I so loved this post! Great photos of an era long past! Thanks for bringing this one to us!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Cool I love the old time barber shops, every now and than you come across one still around. But it's not like the old days!

DJan said...

Wow, it's a bygone era, brought back to us through your all-seeing eye. Thank you for the pictures, although I never went into any of these places, I knew of them through old movies.