Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Nature

A Florida Eagle.


We stayed in a little house on the St John's river just south of Welaka, Florida and there was an eagle and his mate who hunted our section of the river daily. I took a million shots!

Here's some of them.


The first day we saw him. He was so beautiful! It's hard to imagine this black beauty and the ones at home are likely related due to the work done to re-introduce them to the wild a few years ago.
(Remember they were almost extinct?)




 We heard him squawking long before we saw him.  The trees were so beautiful and thick. We searched the banks of the river for perhaps a half hour before I spotted him! There!




I ran back to the house to get my little camera.




 I am thrilled with these shots! We were a couple hundred feet away from him. I held my camera steady by propping it up against one of the posts of the dock's roof and held my breath. 






I had planned on shopping for a tri-pod when we were in Florida.. Hadn't yet.. Vowed to buy one the very next day!




Every Day we waited to catch sight of him. One day, ( I couldn't get the camera out quick enough,) we saw him dive for a fish! What a sight!

I would heartily recommend the river for anyone who loves birds and wildlife. We could not get enough of just sitting at the end of the dock watching. 

They advertise this area as what Florida used to be like and it is quiet, tranquil and gorgeous!

Old Florida indeed!

All of these photos were again shot and loaded directly from my Nikon P90 and then posted without alteration of any kind.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

great photos. I have never seen an eagle other than in photos. Lucky you!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Hello my dears, I just wanted to lt you know that I left an award on my bloggie for you. You have been very kind to me and I thought I'd thank you. If you don't want to participate, I am cool with that too. Thanks, Linda

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have seen eagles at my son's house and viewing through binoculars could see them in the nest be was way too far away to get pictures. You got some good ones for sure!

Unknown said...

Oh what I'd do to get shots of this beautiful bird, as did you. Awesome! TY for sharing.

Happy Easter!
Have a beautiful week ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Sniffles and Smiles said...

These shots are simply superb! I am in such awe of your talent!! What a beautiful eagle! ~Janine XO

Holly Lefevre said...

Wow...what am absolutely amazing and regal bird. Beautiful photos you captured.

Davine said...

Wow amazing shots - good work.

DJan said...

Oh! That profile shot is incredible. Your shots are great, bracing yourself is what I do, and since by the time you get a tripod set up the picture is gone, it's the best way! You can watch Mom and Dad Hornby Eagle sitting on their nest here. The eggs will hatch by late April.

Nina Diane said...

I've never seen an Eagle in the wild...great pics