Search This Blog

Saturday, December 12, 2009

I Make Corned Beef Hash

Wow! This is a dish that everybody has their own preference with. I like mine with chunks of potatoes, Dick likes the ‘pots’ grated. My friend Sarah says she always uses frozen hash browns. We like red pepper and not green. We don’t use hot peppers because they make me gag. (I know, such a delicate creature!)  Some folks like theirs just potatoes and beef, some, like us, prefer a whole mish-mash of stuff in it.
Whatever floats your boat and makes you happy is what you do. Close your eyes and recall those tastes that make you feel all warm and snuggly and that’s what you put in your corned beef hash. Hopefully you will try mine first? It suits us!



 Take the biggest fry pan you own. If you think it’s too big, just stand back and watch how fast it gets filled up. Get a big wooden spatula to stir and hit the heat, about medium high.

-into your pan pour a drizzle of olive oil and about 3 tablespoons of butter. Let that heat a little and then dump in about a cup of chopped Spanish or Vadalia onion. Add your peppers, (about 1/2 cup) and let them brown up with the onion to release the flavour.
I use about twice as much potatoes to corned beef, amount wise. So: 4 cups potatoes to 2 cups corned beef. Once again, suite yourself.

-Here’s where you add your potatoes. Chopped or grated.
On this batch, I threw the onion, potatoes and pepper all in the pool together. Drizzled in  about 4 tbsp of olive oil, the butter and popped a lid on, at med heat to soften the pots. (The steam does the cooking.) Every now and then give it a stir with a nice wide spatula.  Takes about 20 minutes. 

-Add your chopped, or sliced very thin corned beef.
Keep stirring and let the potatoes get a brown on, something like fried potatoes.

 
 


-When they get the desired colour, throw in a couple of cups of grated cheese. We like old cheddar, but you could use mozzarella, swiss, american or almost anything from the aged in a block family.


This batch I used about 2 cups shredded cheddar and a cup of mozzarella.



Once the cheese is melted, break about 6 eggs into the pan and kind of fold them in. I don’t like to break them up too much, so you can still see lumps of white and yellow in your dish.

 



At this point, plop the lid back on your pan so the eggs cook through, Watch so they don’t cook too much and get all leathery

Turn out by lumps onto plates and enjoy!

I don’t generally serve anything else with my hash and let it be the one and only on the menu. We make it in big enough batches and then take it for lunch the next day and drive our co workers crazy with the aroma! 


4 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've never had hash like that before, but the next time I make it I'm trying your way. It looks delicious.

betty said...

I never had corned beef hash but this sounds delicious! I think it would make a great winter dish; going to suggest hubby try this recipe (he's the cook in our family :)

thanks for sharing the recipe with us

betty

Terra said...

This looks incredibly delicious; can you believe I have never made it? Now I want to try this recipe.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Oh WOW!!! This look so darn delicious! I'm going to have to make this SOON!!! Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Coralie