Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Will the real Santa step forward?




What does Santa Claus really look like? How did we ever know if it was him or not?








Is he rotund with rosie cheeks and a pointy hat or...





Does he wear a halo of laurel and holly?




These are the Santa's of my childhood. I recall never once questioning whether he was tall or short. Whether his head wear was a wreath or a hat! He was always just Santa in our house. That wonderfully mythical creature that somehow got the toys in the house, even though our chimney went straight down into the furnace with no escape!


What is the Santa of your childhood?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the photos! Our chimney went right to the furnace, too, so we always left the door unlocked on Christmas Eve!

Jenn Jilks said...

Cute images. I like comparing Santa internationally... Thanks for visiting My Muskoka. And YEs the photos were from this week! SNOW!!!!

hjn said...

I love these Santa pictures!! So sweet and fun! My Santa was fat and jolly!! A very happy little guy with a lot of elves with him!
Mama Holli

Anonymous said...

My Santa was fat and jolly, but I didn't have the kind of childhood that memories of Santa takes first place. Thank God I healed from that. But I enjoyed my own children's as much as they did, and he was fat and jolly. I still love Santa Claus.My favorite picture of Santa is with the Baby Jesus.
QMM

Vagabonde said...

Last year I read “The Battle for Christmas” by Stephen Nissenbaum – it is so interesting as it explains how the Christmas we know got started, but in a way it’s a bit sad because it shatters the way we think about the “old Christmas”. It was really started by magnates in New York City in the 1800s – the early Pilgrims did not celebrate it and would fine people who did. Santa Claus must be from Atlanta, Ga because the Santa we all know was designed by a Coca Cola draftsman – but no matter – I still like Christmas and the jolly Santa

Kori said...

Great photos! THanks so much for the comments on my Rudolph post. I love these classics more every year too! Kori xoxo

♥Mimi♥ said...

My Santa looked like your Santa. He was happy and jolly and loved children. He was magical and sweet.