Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Pickled Eggs

Last summer I made pickled eggs and took them to a family reunion. To my surprise, many people there had never had them! And they weren’t all young-uns either! We love eggs in any form and this is another recipe that you can adjust to your own taste buds.  Another one of those 'special things' to make for Christmas gifts.



Hard boil about 18 eggs. I like extra large, just ‘cause I’m greedy. Anything you buy at a grocer will be old enough, but fresh eggs need to keep a week or they won’t peel.
Put the eggs into a heavy saucepan first and then fill to over them with water. Put the pan on a med high heat and SLOWY heat them to boiling point. Turn the heat down enough so they just simmer along and cook 10 minutes. (If you boil them fast, they will crack and all spooch out.) Take them off the burner, pour off the hot water and dunk them into a bowl filled with ice water so they cool fast.  Peel them. (See yesterday’s post on how to peel hard cooked eggs.)




In a medium saucepan, make your brine. This is my brine:
-1 cup cider vinegar.
-1 clove garlic.
-a couple of bay leaves,
-2 tsp mixed pickling spice.
-1/2 tsp pickling or kosher salt.
-2 tbsp brown sugar.


Lots of folks use white vinegar or wine vinegar. I like the taste of the apple cider vinegar. More old fashioned, I guess. What you’re looking for is the acid. The salt and acid is what preserves the eggs.  The spices are to your taste. I like the robust combination of flavour found in plain old pickling spice, but I like to add more whole cloves.  We like things sweet and the brown sugar seems to bring out the savory of the spices. You can add it or not.


Bring the brine to a boil and dump in your peeled, hard boiled eggs, careful not to splash. Turn the burner off and remove from the stove and let the pot cool in it’s own time. I think the eggs absorb better.




Put the whole caboodle into a jar or zip lock baggie or something airtight and store in the frig for a few days until the flavour is where you want it. We can never leave them a week before they’re all gone!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucy We love pickled eggs but have never tried to make them. I am thankful for this recipe. I love you unique way of putting your words in just like you would say them Makes me feel as if I can actually hear you talking. I have a few of my own words and usually just have to spell them like they sound. One word I use a lot is bookoos. Someone from France told me where that comes from but, of course, I have forgotten. I love your visits. Blessings.
QMM

Jenn Jilks said...

What a great idea! And your shots are glorious. Well done.

Unknown said...

don't know about pickled eggs...but love deviled eggs@

♥Mimi♥ said...

THANK YOU for this recipe! I knew there was something I had forgot to do!

Something else that I do with eggs that is totally yummy is immerse them in the juice I've saved from my picked beets. I just love the color and the sweet/sour taste. At Easter they are gorgeous on the table!

Tricia said...

I have an egg aversion but my hubby and friends were just talking about how much they wanted some pickled eggs. I hadn't ever heard of them before. :) I appreciate the recipe, maybe I'll give it a shot!

Lucy said...

I am humbled by your comments and praise! Thank you all! Pink Pickled Eggs will be coming for easter and some yellow too! (No... I'm not telling!)

Kori said...

Great recipe and lovely photos honey. Thanks so much for the sweet comments on my Vegas post. Hope you are having a great day. Kori xoxo

Vagabonde said...

Your pickled eggs look good but I don’t know about making them – I had some Chinese pickled eggs once and I did not like them. Now I’d like to report on my making the recipe you shared on cabbage and sweet potatoes. I made it tonight. My husband who has a small appetite loved it and took seconds. I changed your recipe just a bit. We have to watch our cholesterol so I did not put so much butter but I added about 1/3 cup hot chicken broth. I also added a sprinkle of caraway seeds. I served it with leftover rotisserie chicken and a spinach recipe I found on another blog (can’r recall which one.) You wash the fresh spinach and dry it well. In a frying pan with some oil you fry, barely, about 4 or 5 chopped cloves of garlic, then you add the spinach and cover so it wilts, just a couple of minutes. I added some Georgia chow chow I had, just a couple tablespoons, then took if off the stove and added about ¼ cup or less of half and half cream. Voila – it was very good and went well with your sweet potato recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Lucy said...

Thanks Vagabonde! That's exactly what I want you to do. Take my ideas and add or subtract and please yourself. Thanks for sharing... I'll try it your way. ME LIKE CREAM!

Jenny said...

These look yummy. I isually make mine with the beet juice but I love the look of these golden ones. I will try this recipe. Love, love pickled eggs! Thank you!