Search This Blog

Friday, December 4, 2009

Vegetables: Sweet Potato and Cabbage

We love what folks call winter vegetables: Squash, sweet potatoes, turnips and cabbage. I make this dish quite often and we take it with some chicken meat. You know, one of pre-roasted ones you can buy at the grocery store.  Makes a nice lunch and is quick too!


Pour about 3 tablespoons of olive oil and a couple of butter in your big fry pan again. turn the heat on med high to get things going.  Add about 1/2 cup of chopped onion and maybe some bacon if you have any. This time, I didn't have bacon. Once that starts to sizzle, dump in about 3 cups of coarsely shredded cabbage, pop a lid on and let it sweat down in size.  Once there's some room in the pan, dump in about the same amount of sweet potatoes and give it a stir to 'wet' the veggies. Pop the lid back on, turn the temperature down to med low and let the sweet potatoes cook through and the cabbage brown. Go have a coffee with your honey while it's cooking.




Come back, give it a stir and enjoy! You can stir in any pre cooked meat and make it a meal, but the veggies are hearty enough, I just eat them!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks yummy! I'll have to try it!

Kori said...

This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it! Kori xoxo

blushing rose said...

That's a good winter dish ... I can't eat cabbage, tho ... TY for sharing & visiting me today.

TTFN ~Marydon
Join me @ our new blog ~
blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding my little Buddy....just the thought of losing them....i can hardly bare it....

You concern means the world to me......

Fondly,
Kary and Buddy
xxx

Vagabonde said...

This dish looks really good and I just happen to have some sweet potatoes – I’ll get a cabbage and will try it. Thanks for sharing

Buttercup said...

This looks great. Found my way over from Marydon's.